Monday, October 11, 2010

I did it!!!

It has been a little while but I haven't had a chance to update all of you. The half marathon went well. Jana Ward and I drove up on Friday afternoon. After we got into Holland we checked into our hotel and then went to pick up our stuff. It was fun to get a number and be with everyone who was running the next day. We went to bed early but I had a hard time sleeping. I kept having nightmares of the next day. We eventually got up around 5:30. We went down and ate breakfast and tried to get pumped up. It was a very cold and windy day. We waited in the car for as long as possible because it was so cold outside. The race started at 8:30 and there were a lot of people running. One thing that I have enjoyed about running over the past few months is interacting with all the runners. Runners seem to be very friendly in general. I didn't want to start off too fast so I was behind the rest of the pack. It was thinking I would be able to pass some people but that actually never happened. I was last place for the entire time. I didn't think I was that slow but I guess I was. My pride was hurt a little but I got over it and just wanted to finish. It took me about 3 hours but I finished. I would run another one and there are some things I would do differently. Thanks for all of your support.

9 comments:

maryp said...

I am still in awe you did it! You ran the farthest any Kennedy woman has ever run! Good job!

Larisa said...

Congratulations, Beth! Such an awesome accomplishment! And don't ever worry about the time--people never ask about it because they're always just so amazed that you did it. Too, if you took any photos, blow up at least one and put it on your wall. When times get tough, I take comfort in being reminded of how strong I actually was at some point (and that I can be again!) Good for you!

Elizabeth Downie said...

That is so awesome, Beth! To be honest, I don't think I can even run one mile. You really inspire me! Well done!

Linz said...

I am so proud of my sister-in-law!!

Linz said...

P.S. I don't know what I'm more excited for you about: the fact that you finished a half marathon or the fact that you got to stay in a hotel away from the kids for a night!

Erin said...

great job, chick!!

Kristen said...

I have been waiting for this update for weeks! I am SO proud of you, Beth!!! That took a lot of training and commitment, and you did it! That is really awesome.

Meg said...

Beth that is seriously so awesome!
I need to get some recommendations for good running music!

Naomi said...

Clearly we need to catch up! I didn't even know you were doing this! What an amazing feat. Way to go, Beth!!