Sunday, May 1, 2011

Parenting Study

I got an interesting flyer from Riley's school. I guess U of M is holding a study about how parents and their children talk to each other. If I participated in the study I would bring home a recorder and have to have it on for three full days. They said that if you thought you wanted to participate and then chose to not, you could delete the recordings. No questions asked.
I have been struggling with Riley lately because he has been yelling at me a lot and is not being very obedient so I get frustrated and being yelling because it seems like that is the only way to get him moving. I think I might participate. I would be curious to see if someone had input on how to help Riley. I don't know if he yells because I yell, or vice versa. I feel like it is the age old question of which came first: the chicken or the egg. Would you participate?

5 comments:

Jessica said...

That's a tough question. I would like to say that I'd be all in for participating in a study like that, but I don't have a toddler running around making my blood boil now and again. Ask me again in 3 years ;)

michelle said...

I am having the same problem with my girls. I would do it...I think only good will come from it.
I know for me I would at least probably watch what I say for a couple weeks and I would probably cringe at a few of the things I say.

maryp said...

i would do it. How interesting. Plus, do you get paid for it?? Do they give you feedback on what they observe?

bethy said...

You get 50 bucks. I think I will do it. I will let you know what happens.

teamk said...

My mom once suggested we all record ourselves for one day and listen to how we talk to our spouse and kids.....I am not brave enough to be humiliated enough to hear myself. I don't doubt that you and Riley's conversation will be a good example for the study. Good luck!